Discovering restaurants is a huge part of New York life. I’ve lived in this fine city for 13 years and I’m constantly learning about new places, from my friends, family and many of my clients . In NYC some of the best places are the ones that have been here the longest, but there are also fantastic new places that pop up every day.
Whether you are looking to go to dinner before your proposal, propose over dinner, or have a celebratory meal following your engagement, I’ve got you covered.
Here are my favorite ideas from fine dining to old school classic romantic NYC options.
Higher End Dining
- Park Avenue Summer, Autumn, Winter, Spring (the name, menu and decor change seasonally. I love the way the decor and menu shifts for each season. It is the Iron Chef Geoffrey Zakarian’s restaurant. https://www.parkavenyc.com
- One if by Land Two if By Sea This place is known as “The Most Romantic Restaurant in NYC” and so it is perfect for a post proposal dinner. There’s a fire place and a piano player and it’s located in the West Village on a quaint cobble stone street https://oneifbyland.com
- Daniel Many of my clients rave about this Michelin Starred restaurant. It is the epitome of Fine Dining in NYC and will definitely make a impression on your fiancé. Daniel Boulud is the chef https://www.danielnyc.com
Midrange and Old School Dining
- El Parador – This is one of my favorite place to go to celebrate. The food is delicious, the drinks are excellent. The waiters are dressed up and every table is dressed with a table cloth and candles. Insider tip: Get the peanut butter jalepenos! https://www.elparadorcafe.com
2. John’s of 12th street – This place feels like you’re in a Woody Allen movie. This is an old school Italian restaurant with excellent food that gives you the vibe of being in Lady in the Tramp with your parter. I highly recommend the shrimp parmesan and the Tirimisu. I never had a thing for Tiramisu until I tried it there. https://www.johnsof12thstreet.com
3. The Mermaid Inn- This is a wonderful cozy spot if you love seafood! Everything is fresh and delicious http://themermaidnyc.com
4. Gaonurri – If you want to be surrounded by gorgeous views this is the place to go! The cuisine is high end Korean. https://www.gaonnurinyc.com
5. Minetta Tavern – One of the best burgers in NYC in an old school elegant setting. Get the Minetta burger and the Black Label and share! http://minettatavernny.com
The best bars to celebrate your proposal!
- Angel Share- Angel Share is one of the best hidden speakeasy bars in NYC and is my absolute favorite. It is hidden inside a bustling Japanese casual restaurant. When you walk to the backroom there is an elegant bar dimly lit with velvet seats, jazz playing and angel mural on the top of the bar. The drinks are insane. The place is super sexy and romantic and a great place to relax and celebrate being engaged https://www.yelp.com/biz/angels-share-new-york
2. Rains Law Room at the William Hotel (reserve a private booth) – This place is super quiet and a romantic place to let loose and make-out after your proposal. There are private booths where you can drink and have privacy https://www.raineslawroom.com
3. The Polo Bar – This bar is owned and designed by fashion designer Ralph Lauren. Imagine mahogany wood, leather tufted seats and candles galore in an ultra luxury Americana setting. https://www.ralphlauren.com/global-polo-bar
4. The Gramercy Park Hotel (Tuesday nights for jazz) http://www.gramercyparkhotel.com
Post-proposal family and friends celebrations…
- The Robert – beautiful restaurant with floor to ceiling windows overlooking Columbus Circle https://www.yelp.com/biz/robert-new-york-25
2. Tommy Bahama Restaurant – lovely space for hosting a dinner or engagement party https://www.tommybahama.com/content/dam/tommy/restaurants/new-york-city/dinner.pdf
3. Sarahbeth’s- a new york classic. There are multiple Sarabeth’s throughout the city and all of them are lovely for a celebratory family brunch https://sarabethsrestaurants.com
4. The Park Lane – Park Room Hotel Restaurant – this restaurant features floor to ceiling windows that overlook Central Park, the views are stunning! https://www.opentable.com/the-park-room
Romantic Day of Activities
Aire Ancient Baths – go in the morning or during the day to avoid crowds
The Brian Newman Quartet Jazz show at the Gramercy Park Hotel (Tuesdays and Thursdays)